Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Day at Home

I (Claire) am home from school today because yesterday evening, I came down with a UTI - a urinary track infection. If you've ever had one, you know how painful and uncomfortable it can be. At home in the USA, it would be bad, of course, but here, in foreign country, where we don't know the system, we don't have a doctor, etc., it's just that much worse.

To make a long story short, when I started feeling not so good, I was a little worried. A few hours later, I totally freaked out. Then, we looked up my symptoms online and low and behold, I have a UTI. We thought to try to figure out what we could do and ended up calling Holly, our supervisor, who it always helpful when we are in a tight spot. She said that she has had 3 UTIs since she moved here and had never had one before she lived here.

She said that I could try to go to a doctor - she recommended one who speaks English, or since I knew what the problem was, I could just go to the pharmacy and ask for a certain antibiotic. Here, there is no such thing as a prescription. If you're willing to buy the drug, you can get the drug. We decided on the pharmacy route because we didn't know how I would get to the doctor today. John has to work at school, and I really shouldn't go anywhere by myself. Whatever we were going to do, it had to wait til daytime since everything was closed.

I was in a lot of pain and discomfort and it was getting late when we remembered that our friend Sonya who lives accross the hall is practically a walking pharmacy. She brought all kinds of medicine here with her from home. After several attempts at waking them up, it finally worked, and she had antibiotic that her doctor gave her specifically for UTIs. So, we thanked her and thanked God, and now I'm feeling much better, although not quite well enough to teach school.

Staying here alone all day is kind of weird. It seems I get most homesick when I'm not feeling well. I left all my school stuff at school, so I can't really catch up that way, but I have work to do here... like sewing.
This is a somewhat blurry (sorry) picture of John's ripped shirt. It's one of his favorites - green silk - and yesterday because of the heat (read yesterday's blog post), it ended up ripping.

He didn't have any airconditioning in his classroom yesterday because the custodian lady pushed the wrong button on her little remote in the momrning, and by the afternoon, it was a sauna in his room. So, as he was teaching, he went to write on the chalkboard, and as he tells it, he was so sweaty that his shirt was stuck to his skin, and when he moved his arm, his shirt didn't move with it. So, alas, I have a torn silk shirt to repair, and the rip isn't on the seam. I've also got several buttons to sew on other various things.

Last night, before the UTI business started, we had Sonya, Becky, and Wayne over for dinner. Now that Wayne has FINALLY moved into his apartment downstairs, he has been hanging out with us a little more. We found out that this is his 30th year teaching, and he could retire back in Canada after one or two more years teaching, but he decided to have an adventure instead of just staying home. I don't know many teachers in his stage of life who would do something like this. I really respect him for taking this step and taking the risk.

I made Jamaican Stew Beef and Spinners for dinner - one of my family's favorites. It was a lot like a family dinner, in a way, since we've all become a sort of pseudo-family here in Santo Domingo.

On the table, you can see the tub-o-salt (white lid) that we use instead of a salt shaker. You can't use a salt shaker here because it's so humid that when you shake it, nothing comes out. It's all stuck in the bottom. So, here instead of , "Please pass the salt shaker," it's "Please pass the tub-o-salt."

Comments:
We use rice in our salt in Georgia too. It works pretty well.

Oh and, I feel for you. I got a UTI on our honeymoon and with no prescriptions, I had to take OTC meds until we got home and it turned into a kidney infection that almost put me in the hospital.

Since it's an open pharmacy there, Amoxicillin and Cipro are used the most for UTIs, Levaquin is another good one but that's a stronger one and it's not used unless the others don't work or if it goes into your kidneys. WebMD is a great resource for that kind of stuff and from my experience is pretty accurate. Just be very careful and take any meds as directed.

Water and Cranberry juice are your best friends. Bottled water preferably since your body is still getting use to the water there. The water and the cranberry keep your kidneys nice and flushed. The acids in the cranberries flush the bad stuff out.

I'm glad your feeling better and hope you'll be back to normal soon! Email me or call me if I can ever be of any help!

Cousin Amanda :-)
 
Claire,

So glad you are feeling better. I second the vote on Cranberry juice and am very thankful for your pharmaceutically prepared friend and neighbor!

We always had rice in our salt shaker...a carry over from Central America and Jamaica. You know that one!
 
So sorry to hear you've been sick Claire! I hope you feel better soon!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Thought Of The Day


Word Of The Day


Visitors
free counters
BestBuy.com Coupons


To leave a comment click on the comment button below each post