Monday, August 14, 2006

Bits of This and That


This is our new red couch that was so graceously given to us by our neighbors and co-workers. Their apartment is much nicer than ours with a balcony and really nice furniture. Our furniture, while very festive-looking, was made out of iron, and when we sat on it, we would feel the iron bars through the cushions under our botttoms. Not comfortable! So, our friends gave us their red two-seater couch and kept their full sized couch. It was very kind of them, and we are very pleased.





John rigged up the shower so that we can wash the soap off ourselves in less than a half hour. There is no water pressure here - and no hot water. John cut the bottom out of a bottle and shoved it onto the nozzle so that the water comes out far enough from the wall to hit us. Hoorah!








This is how we watch movies: in our room with the AC on, but it's so loud we have to turn our laptop volume all the way up and and turn the speakers all the way up. We bought some popcorn to cook on the stove, and we have the mosquito net to make sure we don't get bitten.












Here's Claire hanging the laundry on the roof.

Comments:
I love your home movie system!
Looks like you guys are getting settled in.

I am going with mom and dad to drop Monna off at her new "place!" She is excited. I'm happy she has a place like your mom and dad's house to stay.

Hope the rest of your week goes well!
 
I love this blog! You are really making me feel lucky to be teaching in the states, I guess we are a bit spoiled with our supplies. We have kids on Wednesday, when do you guys start? I hope things start being in English for you:) I'm sure the Spanish will come with time:) John you would like our new principal I think. Give me your email address if you get a chance when you are not sweating or figuring things out:) byoung@mccsc.edu Have a few questions for you if you can remember back in the days when you had a supply closet. Hi Claire!
Bridget
 
Hey,
I finally caught up on your adventure in the Dominican. Actually I read your new posts yesterday but there was some sort of error when I left a comment.

It looks like you two are getting settled in. It is awesome to see you in action. Thanks for keeping us updated. John, does anybody watch "american football" down there? It would be tough living in another country if I couldn't watch the Lions play. I think this is the year that they go for 7 wins!

Well, keep up the good work. Good luck with school and washing clothes and all that. Talk to you later.

Fuzzy
 
John and Claire- It's so exciting to read about all your wonderful little and"BIG" adventures and quirks along your ways. I'm glad to hear that everything is going well. It sounds like you're really going to have a great expereince. So many memories and opportunities to share. Thanks! Jenny-Jeremy- & kids:)
 
Getting your pictures...you still have no hot water?? Do you like it there? Is it hot? I dont know what to say....we'll talk again soon, after I read more of your blogs!
*Jan*
 
Hey you two! I just look forward to reading your updates everyday! I think it is great that you are doing this now, so early in your marriage...almost newlyweds. You really seem to work together and inspire each other's creativity in solving crazy things like showers, laundry, etc. John, we talked about you in the lounge today (in a good way) and were missing you around the lunch table. Claire, start making John cook and do laundry and post pix of it! Ha ha.
Lisa Harvey
 
Hey, John and Claire:

I found your's and Carole's blogs online and have loved catching up on what you've been up to. You'll never guess where I'm living now. I moved to Bloomington last week, to start library science grad school. I was disappointed to see that I just missed you guys. I'm excited for your DR experience, though. You'll have to let me know all about Bloomington - I don't know anyone or where anything is here yet. Anyway - I hope you guys have a wonderful time overseas.

Kristi
 
claire and john, sounds like your having a real fun time. well, its not the good ole u.s. how bout that couch....its not like the one at home from design studio ha ha. well hope things get better for you....luv...granpa and jan
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Thought Of The Day


Word Of The Day


Visitors
free counters
BestBuy.com Coupons


To leave a comment click on the comment button below each post